Tuesday, January 6

eco-bags for fruits, veggies and grains



Late last year i blogged about making some fine weave cloth bags to use for produce shopping, to replace the plastic bags i had been endlessly reycling (washing and drying) when the last of the stash had finally worn out. I was intending to use silk from reclaimed scarves found in my imaginary bountiful searches in the second hand shops. Well, my limited searches had come up with naught; I'd found plenty of synthetic scarves but im such a tactile textile person that i was set on a natural fibre for my shopping. Enter the most wonderful stocking stuffers ever from my sister in law. Eco-bags; sheer, organic, fair trade cotton (produce bags voile) made in fair wage factories from Sustainable Fairfax. Eco-bags are an American distributor but i havent found any equivalent company here in Autralia, yet.

Ive scouted around a bit in the organic food shops since we returned from the US and have not seen anything like them in the shops here. Plenty of synthetic parachute fabric bags but they dont compare to the feel of these cotton ones. There's market scope for bamboo or hemp ones for the ecologically conscious i think. But using them feels very decadent i must say, luxurious in fact. They are soundless and feel beautiful, and i have had a few traders ask about them and take down the website. im thinking they will make great fund raising merchandise as they can be printed up with any logo or message. Im hooked and just a little in love.

4 comments:

Veggie Gnome said...

I have been wanting something like this for ages! Thanks for this post. Now I'm really fired up to find something similar. Would cheesecloth come close to the texture of the cloth? What sizes are the bags?

Minni Mum said...

Oooh, I love them too. I use drawstrings bags I made from some leftover tulle but they won't hold grains (for when that elusive bulk food supplier finally opens up nearby!) so I am loving the eco-bags. I'm also wondering if cheesecloth would do the trick?

Kelly said...

hi goils. would be good i think. Bag dimensions are 42cm long x 30 wide when stitched, cord is .50cm . Good luck and happy stitching. i have about 15 and that seems to be about just right for fruit and vege and 2 circulating.

Kelly said...

*cheesecloth would be good is what i meant to say. you want as lightweight as possible so as not to resister on the scales! Breathability is also an issue too im sure.

Hello, how are you?

Hello. It's been a while. 5 years. Where did that time go? Reflecting back, I can't remember why I stopped blogging. Perhaps l...