Thursday, September 11

cheese school

Yahoo! Cant wait. Just booked me and a bunch of girlfriends into Cheese School. One email response from a friend said "sorry, cheese making just doesnt ring my bell but catch up soon". My head went 'whaaaat?!' how could anyone not think that this would be just the best, most fabulous way to spend a whole day...elbows...well, elbow deep in milk and rennet, making lovely soft mushy pungent stretchy and hopefully very tasty cheese. I have been planning on doing something like this for years with some equally passionate cheese loving friends but we never found a place to do it that didnt require a whole week and a thousand bucks or so until now. Udder Delights have been running these classes for just a few months now which fit in perfectly with my baby growing and apparently with the cheese makers too. Udder Delights is located on the main street in the pretty little German town of Hahndorf which is just 10k from home and make really high quality goats milk cheese product ( and my favourite, a marinated chevre). A whole day of cheese making, lunch and wine included for $120 buckaroos and you take home all cheese made, hoops, rennet and hopefully lots of knowledge so its a fair swap i think. I have given myself this week off from The Thing, guilt free, just to enjoy this first burst of spring with the boybean and get a good start on the pizza oven. So , i will keep you posted on the cheese front and hopefully, i will remember to take my camera!

4 comments:

Rixa said...

Ooh, sounds like fun! I've made basic soft cheese a few times and yesterday was a major flop, and I can't figure out why. I thought the curd was set up firm, but once I poured the whey out it turned out it wasn't, and I think I will have to toss the whole batch. Argh....

Kelly said...

ummm from what i know lack of curd is due to milk not reaching acidity required sometimes due to inactive bacteria, poor milk or milk which contains antibiotics... shame to toss it, i hate that too.

Anonymous said...

Making cheese was on my list of homeschool projects last year, but I never did get around to it. I think maybe I'll try it this year anyway. It DOES sound like fun.

Kerrie said...

Oh Wow...!!! Wish I lived closer, I would just love to be up to my elbows in goats cheese. I'm very excited for you and can't wait to hear (and see - please remember the camera) about your adventures. You know, it even makes sense to get on a plane given the cost is so reasonable...will have to give that more thought.

Hello, how are you?

Hello. It's been a while. 5 years. Where did that time go? Reflecting back, I can't remember why I stopped blogging. Perhaps l...